Thursday, June 16, 2016

Perfect for Us

On March 23rd, 2012 Brian and I got dressed up, said our vows, and then went to see The Hunger Games in theater.
Today's Post is the memory of our wedding day.
I have a few journal entries leading up to and after the day but most of my information is coming from the collection of pictures my Mama took. She was so happy that day, I remember that. We spent the week leading up to it planning. There wasn't much to do because we couldn't afford a big affair. Mama took care of the reception entirely herself. The dress I wore was one she had bought for me previously.
As Brian and I sat at the court house, waiting our turn, I realized just how truly nervous I was. I knew that Brian loved me but after having seen my mothers romantic woes throughout my life I was terrified that our love wouldn't be strong enough to withstand the trials of marriage. There was another couple sitting across from us in the waiting area. The woman was holding a sleeping newborn and the man held onto a squirming toddler. They look so miserable. They wore jeans, ratty t-shirts, and exhaustion like it was going out of style. I was so confused by them that I completely forgot my own worries and didn't notice when the clerk called our names. As we got up to leave the clerk told the tired couple that they were next and I watched as they glanced at each other. Their faces split into the biggest smiles I had ever had seen. The love between them was completely overwhelming for a few seconds, until the toddler burped up all over the dads lap. He just laughed.
My sister had flown in to visit Mama for her spring break which just happened to also be the week I was getting married so she attended. Unwillingly, with much complaint, and wearing red.
After we left the court house we went back to our apartment for the reception. Mama had baked a beautiful cake and my sister had sculpted the topper. A pair of frogs with crowns. They were adorable and I still treasure them to this day but at the time I was so angry. We had argued quite extensively because my sister had suggested the topper be something Beauty and the Beast related or Princess and the Frog, and very thinly veiled insult directed at my choice of husband. I realize now that she must have felt quite upset to be attending her younger sisters wedding before her own could happen and that this was her way of coping. She had made fun of my choices in men for years so it was to be expected. Sadly though, I am sure that if she had made the effort to get to know Brian she would have seen that they have much in common. She would have liked him, had she given him half a chance.
Besides the cake we had a myriad of finger foods that my mother had prepared and a ton of Mountain Dew Code Red in fancy plastic wine flutes. This made me smile so much.
Brian's mother showed up for a few minutes to drop off some publix deli chicken for us.
We planned the event for March 23rd, kind of comically, around the fact that The Hunger Games was coming out in theaters that day. Little did I know that it also happened to be Brian's mothers birthday. I wouldn't find out for another year. I was kinda livid...
So after the reception we all went to see The Hunger Games. We had a ton of fun and it was a lovely evening. Brian and I knew we couldn't afford to do anything special for a honeymoon but we made the most of it. We drove through all of the local fast food restaurants and ordered our favorite thing from each. Like Mcdonalds fries, Wendy's chicken nuggets, Taco Bell's nachos, and so on. We feasted and watched tv together for hours. It was as close to perfect as we could manage.
As a child I had always dreamed of the big church wedding. Including the frothy white ball gown, the thousands of flowers of every color, having a row of bridesmaids and groomsmen, and a wedding cake sprinkled with sugar flowers. I still plan on having that massive event someday, we Brian and I renew our vows maybe? Or if we ever get sealed in the temple? So while our wedding wasn't what I had dreamed of, it was exactly what we needed. It fit perfectly to the kind of people that we were at the time. I hate not having those memories anymore but I can still look at all the pictures and be happy that my mother took so many. I'm proud to say that I made the right choice the first time.
Love you Honey. :D

1 comment:

  1. Just a sidenote or two: I wish I could honestly say I did that whole reception myself. I didn't. Robin helped A LOT with the food. I spent a stupid amount of time on that cake, and that limited my options. Your sister was a huge help with the food prep too. She was snarky initially about the whole wedding thing, but I think you're right about why, and in the end, she was really glad she got to be there. I agree - if she had a chance to really get to know Brian, I think she'd love him. They have a lot in common.

    Your wedding day was pretty special for all of us. Harry and I had a terrific day. I was very sorry about Brian's mom. I had no idea it was her birthday. When she didn't show up for the wedding, I was surprised. When she showed up for the reception bearing a bucket of chicken, I was kind of stunned. Perhaps we should have worked harder at trying to include her.

    ReplyDelete